stoa of Attalos
The Stoa of Attalos or Attalus located in the east side of
archaeological site of the Ancient Agora in Athens just oposite the
Adrianou street in Monastiraki. The Stoa of Attalos was built around
150 BC, by Attalos II, King of Pergamos as a donation to Athens. The
construction of the building began in 159 BC and ended in 138 BC.
The building was the largest in length in Greece during the
antiquity. It was rebuilt in the same style and shape from 1953 to
1956 by the American School of Archaeology with funding from JD.
Rockefeller and now houses the Museum of Ancient Agora in Athens.
Typical of Hellenistic art, the stoa is a large-scale building. It
has two floors: the ground floor belongs to the Doric style and the
first floor to the Ionic style, the two levels are connected by two
staircases located at the ends of the building.
The walls are made of limestone, the facade from marble of Penteli
and the roof is covered with tiles.
The stoa during the antiquity had shops that where leased by the
State of Athens. It was therefore an ancient shopping mall but also
a place of sociability where citizens use to gather and discuss
while sheltering from the sun during the summer and the cold in the
In the stoa of Attalos was signed the Treaty of the European Union
enlargement in 2003.
Pictures of the stoa of Attalos
Stoa of Attalus side view
front view from Thission
all pictures are copyright 2003
NEXT THE ANCIENT AGORA
MONUMENTS PICTURES |
FAMOUS BUILDINGS |
GREEK PARLIAMENT |
CITY PICTURES |
ANCIENT AGORA |
THISSION | ATTALUS |
ERECHTEION CARYATIDES |
VIEWS FROM ACROPOLIS |
DIONYSUS THEATER |
ACROPOLIS MUSEUM |
MUSEUM STATUES | ACROPOLIS MUSEUM
CARYARIDES | ACROPOLIS
MUSEUM PHOTOS |
ACROPOLIS MUSEUM GALLERY| ATHENS
BY NIGHT | PLAKA |